Thursday, March 4, 2010

Reflections

My mum always say Rianne takes after my bad temper. I thought , "hell'ya, you're right!"

It is not surprising if you see a mini-you in the form of your kids, as we adults tend to be most at ease and many a times let ourselves loose in front of the people we are closest with; and these small guys tend to pick up things in less than a finger snap!

I wonder if anyone remember the incident where a father actually bashed his biological daughter to death when the little girl picked up his cigarettes and put that into her mouth. Tell me, isn't that an impersonation of what she see everyday? And from someone of that seniority and familiarity, it only made sense to the 2 year old toddler that "if daddy is doing that, then there is nothing wrong with me following his actions."

Out of late, I see many parents smoking in front of their little ones without the least consideration about the harmful effects the 2nd-hand smoke could bring to their children, let alone be conscious about how their offspring could actually pick up this unhealthy habit from them. Now, I am certain that the generation of smokers would go on and on, regardless of how agressive the smoking bans are with irresponsible parents.

I saw this Muslim family of 5 kids, all boys if I remember correctly, with their parents at the market on a Sunday morning. The father and mother were gakking to each other with their hands, they are earing impaired I so assume. It immediately struck me as to how irresponsible the parents by having such a big family, when their disability could very likely deviate them from being able caregivers! That's not just it. The father were smoking while pushing the baby pram with 2 of the boys in it. I was totally disgusted.

I don't know how can anybody be so irresponsible, and bring misery to the innocent lives if you yourself have also been brought into this world by parents who spare no thoughts of the consequences of your existence. I am not afraid to admit that I harbour lots of guilt towards Rianne, as I had gave her a chance to live, but at the same time brought her misery with the genetic disease (NF 1) which she inherited from Papa D.

Rianne has the disease, and if her future husband also has NF; they are bound to pass down the disease to their children genetically. But if Rianne marry a 100% healthy guy, the chance of my future grandchildren having NF will be 50% instead. This means that the children Rianne were to bear, will have a likelihood of being like their mummy, getting a genetic disorder without a choice.

Whose fault is that? Whose responsiblity is that to prevent such a tragedy from happening? The adults.. the so-called parents.. the man & woman whose actions were led by their bodies, and not by the brains.

Shame on them, shame on me.. :(

No comments: