Monday, August 22, 2011

Mid-year crisis

Have you ever been in this phase of life, often happening during the middle of the year; whereby you feel like you have worked too much all your life and you just wish you get god-damn lucky to strike lottery of some sort, and never have to work anymore?! I get it all the time.. and I call it the mid-year crisis.

2011 has been a long and excruciating year for me. With a role transfer from the regional team into the local HR team, everything seems exciting and challenging at first. I was more enthusiastic than ever, and super passionate about my work that I simply feel no exhaustion after a 12 hrs workday for consecutively 5 days. It was the change in my job portfolio that totally burnt me out.. The tonnes of paperwork and administration & coordination required for new joiners as well as resignees are killing me! My 12 hrs were not enough at all, so I had to put in time on my weekends too.

And did I mention about our office move? I have never encountered such lousy planning & coordination of an office move! Our HR team had to shift our workstations twice in 1 month, and can you imagine the amount of papers we have to move with us???!! I don't even know if the move was just to vacate our office space for the expanding subsidary company of ours; or should it be the purpose of housing the Shared Services Centre together so as to achieve higher level of efficiency and effectiveness? Whatever the ultimate objective may be, I just want to say that the move was badly executed. Timeframe was short, instructions were unclear, movers were inadequately trained, and operations were completely disrupted! There were no connection to a printer & scanner, our office phones were dead and worse, everyone was snatching for a piece of the wireless broadband as we weren't connected to our local LAN at all! And the most irritating of all is, I lost my pedestal during the move! No one else lost anything except for me!

Seriously, I am way falling behind my work now and it will impact my overall work performance if things don't get done by a certain time. I am feeling the stress everyday, and I really don't want to have people complaining that I am incompetent in my work when I am not; but very overloaded actually..

No comments: