Thursday, March 20, 2014

Full steam ahead..

This is like what I remember and find it apt to call 'our final trimester'.. 

We are less than 2 months away from officially becoming Mr & Mrs Lee! Gosh, the excitement of the wedding happening and me finally hitched, is taking me to a whole new level of adrenaline!!

To be super honest, we are not very much ready yet! Wedding preparations are probably 60% covered, honeymoon plus plans after our marriage; not started yet! 

Working and planning a wedding concurrently is tough. Especially when you are highly committed to delivering deadlines at work! Both me & KL have busy work schedules, and with Rianne; it makes it even harder for us to take time off.

We, or rather more I, spend a great deal of time planning our wedding via the internet. I check out wedding essentials on the go using my ipad, snap a picture to send it to KL or my planner, and subsequently email the vendor/seller on further queries and orders. This has become such a regime that I follow every day now. Even my marriage solemnizer was found online, and corresponded via emails! 

Our solemnizer aka Justice of Peace is kind enough to provide guides and checklist on our wedding planning and also marriage tips. Pity that the advice came only now, otherwise I would have known better than to assign tasks to my better half who's overly 'laxed' and needs constant forceful reminders to get his tasks done!

Yes, it's ranting time; and I reckon I am still allowed to complaint about a boyfriend whom I'm only going to marry a couple of months later. So here goes..

On our wedding bands - we started looking at designs a long time back, and when I say 'looking', I meant browsing online. KL's favourite online site for rings has to be Blue Nile. He found the design of my proposal ring there, and now he's relying on the same place for our wedding bands. Seriously, buying wedding bands online? How big that risk is? He simply refused to walk into any (and I mean, really none!) jewellery store, until I needed to polish my propsal ring and we were at the jeweller who made my ring. We had our first look at the potential wedding bands, and it was after much persuasion that KL was willing to put on the rings to try. You thinking what I'm thinking? Yeah? Weirdo, I know. But that's him. Of course we didn't get our rings at the first store we went. In fact, we didn't continue our search at all, until I found out that most jewellers need at least 1.5 months for resizing, and 3-4 months if you custom-make the rings. I felt the fire on my butt already (literally!), and began dragging him into jewellery shops every weekend! Still, he could tell me that he don't need to buy an identical ring as mine from the local jewellery stores as he prefer to order online. That was like the final straw, and I got so mad and told him to reconsider our marriage! Hah!

Guest list - I have lost count of the number of messages I sent KL on getting him to finalise the guests on his side. Our wedding venue (for luncheon) could accomodate 60 persons. Instead of fully utilizing it (60 for my side is not even enough!), he kept the cap to 50 pax for both our guests! I was damn pissed as I had earlier informed my best friends that their spouses & children are invited to our wedding. He had only informed me this late when all the spouses have already adjusted their schedules (some travelling) to make it to the wedding. I had to then swallow the guilt and embrrassment telling my friends that their family can no longer attend our wedding. This have to be the hardest ordeal in the whole wedding preparation, I'm telling you! 

Oh wait, no; that's the 2nd hardest. The toughest one I had to deal with, no doubt have to be about the wedding dowry. You would have guessed so since it has to do with money.. I find it a bit hard to swallow the fact that KL finds it ridiculous to be giving dowry to my mom, even when I explained that this is a tradition that all Chinese practises and that it is also a form of respect and appreciation to my parent for bringing me up. He asked what about his parents, shouldn't I be giving dowry to his parents who also brought him up? I want to faint, really. Aside from fainting, I felt super hurt.. KL told me if my mom refused to take a smaller token amount, he will have to reconsider our marriage. Those were his exact words, to his wife-to-be.. the one who's going to bear him children and share parenting and financial responsibilities with. I was surprised I actually did not storm out and leave him there looking bad and stupid. I should have done that. If you are curious to know, I have only asked for $2,888 as the dowry. 

Anyway, our wedding is still pending as per KL's own words; if my mom don't lower the dowry amount and he will not marry me. I'm not going to give in, the money's for my birth mother who you do not want to live together with in our marital home. The money is for her to take care of herself when I'm no longer there. 

Let's wait and see..

No comments: