My boss had sent me an invite for a catch up in her office yesterday afternoon, and that was when the breakdown happened.. I knew she had wanted to talk about my long absence from work, when Rianne & I took turn in falling ill.
Initially I had only the flu influenza with fever, cough, runny nose and rashes, all symptoms from the irritating bug! I did not get any better after 2 days of rest & medication, and was visiting another doctor in hope to be treated and healed more quickly. It didn't happen, and in fact my condition got worse. On Thursday, I suffered giddiness, and was vomitting the very first thing after I woke up. Everything I ate came out as puke. My stomach was so empty, but I simply felt nothing. Not hungry at all, just giddy.
I don't think I had passed anything to Rianne because she seem so fine than her sickly mummy. However, we do notice her getting cranky easily; and that could possibly be due to teething.
Maybe I have an 'itchy' mouth, coz Rianne had a fever just one day after I went back to work. Her fever was not only persistent, but it hardly came down. We gave her the medicine prescribed by the GP at the clinic downstairs where I stay, for 4 times and her temperature still remain relatively high. I decided it is not wise to carry on with the medication which doesn't work, instead we should take immediate action to bring her temperature down. So we took her face hanky, soaked in chilled water, and start to sponge her. Rianne screamed the instant the cold fabric touches her skin! I really hate to see her wailing her guts out like that, but I have no choice. After the sponging, we were quite relieved to see her temperature going down to 37.7 degrees celsius. But that didn't last too long. Very soon, her fever returned and her temperature rose quicker than before. I knew I had to send her to the hospital and seek immediate medical treatment.
At the hospital, the doctor administered a dose of fever medicine and put her on an urine collection bag whereby they need the urine to test for the presence of any infection. We continued sponging her, and needless to say, her screaming sequelled there in the hospital. The initial test results show some abnormality, and Rianne's urine had to be sent for further intensive check. Luckily, the second results came back normal. Rianne was able to go home after her fever went away, which was 3.5 hrs later at the hopsital.
If you think I would be able to have it easier with Rianne after her fever is not there, then I'm sorry to say that you are very wrong. The following day, Rianne broke out in rashes all over her body. There were the most rashes on her abdomen and back. Slowly they appeared even on her neck and face!
Again I had to bring Rianne to the doctor.. The rashes were diagnosed as the 'clearing signs' of her viral fever, and they are totally harmless and non-contagious. Another working week gone in a flash..
I was out for almost 2 consecutive weeks, and I wasn't accessing to our office webmail or doing much work during this period. My boss was frustrated at the fact that I had missed an urgent email and not had the assignment done in the allocated time frame. She said she feel that my commitment at work is no longer here, and it is being unfair to her and the company. She then asked me what I want, like do I still want to stay in the company, or I rather give up the job.
Don't know how I felt I suffered an injustice in that conversation, and my tears started rolling like there is no tomorrow! I sobbed while explaining and apologizing to my boss for my overlook in that email. I felt terrible, and not only that; I finally experience the fear of losing my job.
I think I took positivity, motivation, and discipline out from that brief catch up. I pushed myself a little so as not to fall straight into depression. I want to be able to accompolish all the KPIs I set for myself, and come end of the year, I would reap profits (results) from my hard work put in from now on. Wish me luck!
Cheers,
Mama R
No comments:
Post a Comment