I realise I have never really talked about my future in-laws and KL's siblings, not openly at least. The thought of becoming family with them soon triggers this post..
I may not have mentioned it anywhere in my blog, but you folks may have made out already that KL & me are quite the opposite of each other. We are 2 extremely different characters. Very obviously would be our personas, he is an introvert while I am nothing less than outspoken and extrovert. He is a cool, no-fuss guy who doesn't appreciate crowds while I am the sort of "the more the merrier" social butterfly who loves a good party with lots of friends, liquor and music.
The way KL is, I believe is somehow linked to his family and the upbringing. His mommy aka my future MIL is probably the nicest and kindest MIL I have ever heard of and came across. I not want to badmouth some of my exes' mums, but there are really some terrible ones out there.
My FMIL is not just kind to me, but to Rianne as well. She has bought Rianne a lot of clothes, and she loves Rianne's company whenever we go over to their house. There was this night when Rianne was asking for food past 11pm, and my FMIL offered to go buy food for her. I didn't let her do it of course. That's not all.
Well, the first time I experienced her kindness was in my early dating days with KL. At that time, KL still had a super single bed. Guess what my FMIL offered to do? She wanted to swop room or give up her queen sized bed to us, so that we won't have to squeeze on a bed meant for a single person. If you think that is generous, wait til you hear this. My FMIL actually gave up a functional spare part from her aircon unit in her room to KL, whose aircon had broke down in his room. It is so that me & Rianne do not have suffer and sleep in a stuffy room when we are there to stay over.
However those are still not the most selfless thing my FMIL has offered to do. She knows that it is gonna be a while before me & KL get our BTO flat, so she decided that we should still have our temporary matrimonial home which would be her current flat she's living in with KL. She would move out when we get married next year to stay with KL's sister or somewhere else, and let us have the whole house to ourselves. Where on earth can you find such a kind FMIL? I'm not even her daughter in-law yet, man.. Honestly, I was at a loss for words when KL told me my FMIL had proposed this during a family dinner I missed. I was touched by her kind intention..
But these aside, she & KL are actually very similar in nature. Both kind at heart, but many times cannot be bothered with the nitty gritty stuff. You know both of them can even not talk to each other the whole day being in the same house. Sometimes when I'm around, my FMIL would text KL to ask if we want dinner. Really? Hell, yes. Hah! Also, I understand from KL that he and his siblings have been trained to be very independent since very young. Their mom was the sole breadwinner back then in the absence of their dad. I heard that KL was practically taking care of himself every day at the age of 8 or 9 years old. His meals were catered as his mom was working long hours. His eldest brother was staying in a boarding school, and the sister was always not home accordingly to KL. The brother had studied abroad and since his return, he had been staying on his own in a rented apartment. It is weird not to stay with your own family when you are not married. But apparently it seems perfectly normal for KL's family.
The other thing I noticed a 100% identical between KL & his mom is that they both are big ticket item buyers. They don't mind paying hundreds of dollars for some overrated products; eg. a Braun kettle at over $70, a stainless steel wok at a whopping $214, and the original Flip Flops for more than $100 where you can get an imitation pair at 1/10 of the price!! I am someone who believes in value for money, so some things need not be branded or overly marketed on the internet, to serve its function.
I am actually quite fearful that me & KL will get into arguments on our house renovation and furniture/appliances shopping. I don't want to let him have his way in spending our hard-earned money on expensive, state of the art technology and gadgets. I just want simple, practical, and comfortable pieces for my house. No point having high tech when you are not savvy enough to use them. Moreover, we may be living together with my FMIL who easily break PC speakers, monitor screen, mobile phones every other month. Totally not practical.
No comments:
Post a Comment