Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Hybrid

Scientific, I know.. but i'm not really going to dive into the science behind it.

Hybrid is a term commonly used when two different elements come together to become an unique component. Take for example, the automatic vacuum cleaner that goes around the house on its own, supposedly sucking up all the dust & dirt as it goes while not hitting itself into the expensive furniture. I personally find this to be the most genius idea in this century! An hybrid of a vacuum cleaner and a robot.. Which housewife wouldn't dream of having someone/something do the cleaning on their behalf? I would give up everything to own one!!

How does a hybrid child sound to you? Honestly, ain't all children hybrids of their parents? But it seems that most people have that misconception that an eurasian child is a hybrid. Of course they wouldn't be calling that child a hybrid, instead they tend to say a 'mixed' or 'ang mo kia' (it means a caucasian's child in dialect).

You would know I'm referring to my own child here.. Papa D's of pure English blood, and me a Chinese created the most beautiful being - Rianne. Apart from some of her features looking similar to those of a British parentage, she looks just like any other local kid. She even has a chinese name! The main reason why we gave Rianne a chinese name is because we want her to see that while she may be half English, she has also Chinese blood flowing in her body. Her English name spells the same too, having both Papa D's family name and mine. We didn't plan the name to be this way, but as circumstance forbids, Rianne had to take my surname as her last name. It was perfect as a result, I can't love her name more!

I don't know how parents of an Eurasian child take comments from outsiders. Are they offended when people call their kid a 'mixed'? Seriously, that sound like 'mixed veg rice'; hahaha!! The worst way of labelling an eurasian kid which I have heard is a 'cross-breed'. Hello everyone, the parents of an eurasian child are humans if you are not aware. They were not put together to 'mate' or 'breed' to produce an offspring.

Well, initially I don't feel anything when curious onlookers comment that Rianne looks different. They'd eventually figured out she is an Eurasian, and will start asking about her parentage. It's a vicious cycle that I have gone through since her birth, and it hasn't gone away even when Rianne has grown older and looking less like a caucasian. My concern? I don't know if this will get to Rianne soon, when she's sensible and understand why people says some things.

It probably will be a confusing phase for Rianne next year, when me & KL get married and she will have a chinese step-daddy..

No comments: