Wednesday, April 6, 2016

So worrisome!!

If you have thought you would have conquered half of the pregnancy discomfort and woes by the time you are in your second trimester, let me tell you; you thought wrong! The battle with all those hated worries and discomfort only begins now..

With a past pregnancy that was full of complications, I knew it wouldn't be an easy pregnancy for me this time. When things are not easy, it also means it is not cheap. You are darn right, every extra test/assessment at my gynae's or an out-of-office-hours trip to the O&G clinic at KKH is a few extra hundred dollars incurred on top of my usual maternity expenses. You bet KL's face was all squealed and cramped up whenever he signs off the bills! Haha..

Just this Friday, I had probably the worst cramps ever in my pregnancy!! I was out and when both my feet had cramps, I screamed for help from my daughter who thought I was just pranking her on April Fool's! I basically had to drag my feet in order to move out of the shop to somewhere where I could sit down and squeal in pain until the cramps subside. 

At night, I wore compression stockings in order to prevent the recurrence of the really painful cramps. It didn't help and I yelled like a lunatic in a madhouse, only to get no response from the log (Rianne lah, who else!) who was so soundly asleep beside me! I realised I couldn't move my leg covered by the compression stockings, eventhough I had to pee!! It was scary as I had pee almost coming out, but also because I don't want to end up being crippled! With all these thoughts, I pushed myself up hard and dragged my entire body to the nearest bathroom in the room next to mine. 

It felt like I had just been in a nightmare and was immobilized in that entire duration! I freaked out as I don't know if there are any underlying medical conditions that are now showing symptoms which in this case, are the cramps. I worried myself throughout the night and eventually when dawn broke, I called my gynae and sought advice. I was asked to go down to his clinic or at least to KKH for an assessment. He wants to rule out the potential of Deep Veins Thrombosis, otherwise known as DVT (this sounds so much like a fashion acromyne. Just 1 letter different from becoming DVF - Diane von furstenberg, hahaha!). 

And so I went, to the O&G clinic on a Sat afternoon and was asked to return on the  following Monday for an ultrasound scan to determine the existence of DVT. 

I shan't go into details of the scan and the unbearable waiting for the report results to be out. To conclude, there was no sign of DVT which is great news and I only have some slight swelling which is common as my weight increases. 

Cleared myself of this DVT worry, and another is just embarking itself onto my pregnancy journey; this familiar and most irritating of all called 'Heartburn'. 

No comments: