Babies may seem to be the world's cuddliest and lovable creatures.. That, is only half right. Many of you, especially the non-parents, are not aware of their dark sides. Well, me being a first time mother can't be sure myself, whether those traits of theirs are naturally in them, or caused by external factors. But, they are indeed worrying businesses that if you are a parent, cannot choose to ignore..
Rianne for example, is the typical frail baby who sneezes the minute her clothes are removed. This had my mum believe that Rianne is a baby who's afraid of the cold, and thus she's all covered up from head to toe; with her face & head the only flesh exposed to the environment. But a discovery the other day proved my mum's analysis to be wrong. I had found Rianne's pillow to be wet, and I took a sniff at it. It seem that Rianne has been perspiring, and that might lead to babies having rashes if they are not given enough ventilation. Since then, Rianne was allowed the fan and she was much cooler.
You know the muscle twitch we sometimes get during sleep? Our legs jerk when we subconciously thought we fell into a drain? Babies suffer from that too.. Rianne especially, is the most jerky little person I have ever seen. Her hands and legs twitched so much that she sometimes get woken up by it. I decided to hold her limbs down with a bean bag made from the shells of beansprouts. That kinda worked, but little did I expect Rianne to have so much force pushing her hands out from the bean bag. She had once struggled to get her hands out, and resulted in having her face covered by the beanie. I was almost scared to death, when I found her like that on my bed. It would have been disastraous if her nose got covered too long!
Last night I placed Rianne on my bed again with the bean bag, while I went to do the dishes (finally I am permitted to do the chores again!). My mum came to the kitchen chatting with me, and it was then we heard Rianne's loud cries. As my hands were still soapy with detergent, my mum attended to her. Guess what? Yes, Rianne had covered her own face with the bean bag again! I was mad at ourselves for our negligence, but at the same time I was relieved that Rianne alerted us on time.
The rest of my worries are equally nerve-breaking.. like the confusion Rianne's facing now between a pacifier, milk bottle teat and mummy's boobies. Then there is her throwing up of milk immediately after her feed, and hiccups that come when Rianne had a drop too much. Also the frustration Rianne has when she tries to pass out gas.. she turns red doing it. The list goes on and on, but my latest worry now is the red patch I saw on the back of Rianne's head. I am just hoping it isn't anything related to the genetric disorder which Papa D has, and that could only be affirmed when I bring Rianne to the specialist on the 21st.
No comments:
Post a Comment