Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The least expected..

The 3rd day of Chinese New Year.. and the least expected happened..

Mummy returned to work just after 2 days of New Year's celebration, and I know, I really know how tedious it had been for her this New Year.. tidying up the house, and cooking sumptuous meals for the whole family.

Me and my brother were the luckier ones, who get to sleep in today. But before we manage to enjoy the rest of the day, someone was knocking real hard at our door! The knocking was so loud that I practically was woken by it! Running to the door, 3 beefy and fierce-looking guys greeted me with flashes of their identity cards - The Police Warrant Cards.

It is my brother they are after, and I didn't even have to open the door to let them in.. they barged in! I knocked on my brother's door and when he opened, the officers went in and closed the door. I think they want me out of the conversation, or rather interrogation.

I couldn't do anything but just allowed my mind to roam and ponder what has my brother done this time? No answer came out of that few minutes of silence, and I wish someone could give me one soonest..

The mystery was revealed when my brother was all changed and looked like he's going somewhere. The police were bringing him away!! With a confused enough look on my face, I asked what's happening. The gangster-like (Yes, he look like a triad member, or not, even someone of a senior position in a triad!) officer told me that my brother is working for a loanshark and has been going around throwing paint over debtor's apartments. WHAT?! That, for sure, never crossed my mind! He could be drinking and getting into fights with people, but never did I think he would be bold enough to be a runner for loansharks.

I followed by asking if there is anything we need to do now, and the officer replied that they are bringing my brother to Ang Mo Kio Police Divison first and then to the CID HQ where further investigations will carry out. All this likely to take place over a whole week, and bail is rather impossible. Couldn't control my emotions anymore, I started sobbing and my brother tried to comfort me by saying we could visit him at the police station. The senior officer interrupted my brother's words by telling him not to give untrue knowledge to me, and that these days it isn't that easy to go in and out of a police station. There goes our hope of finding out more about this arrest.. it could be at least a week before we even see my brother.

The most heartbreaking thing one could ever witness, would be watching your loved one being arrested and handcuffed right in front of your eyes! And that, must unfortunately happened to me.. and we were even planning to go catch a movie today when my mum finishes work. I had promised him to go today, coz he had bugged me since New Year's Eve but we were all too exhausted by the spring cleaning. And my mum's birthday is next week.. Not that this has got any relevance to what happened, but I am just worried that my mum will get so depressed come her birthday, if my brother's still not home..

A young lad who had just turned 24 last December, got married and had a son within a year; might not sound like the most promising guy in Singapore. But it is not deniable that he still has such a long way ahead of him! Only in his 20s, and he shouldn't be spending time in and out of prison. How would his son think of such a father? How is my mum going to face the reality of losing her son, and me & my sister losing our one & only brother for at least 1 year to Changi Prison again??

It is so painful.. though no doubt my brother may have brought it upon himself, but who would wish to end up in such a state? No one, I believe..


No comments: