Tuesday, July 30, 2013

A child's future

Hello people, just the other day I asked my best chums if there is one thing we could add/change to our secondary school days, what would that be?

What do you think? What did you really liked or hated so much that it is still daunting even at the mere mention of it?! Our English inclined friend, J who speaks very 'powderful' English, immediately answered "Remove Chinese from the curriculum!" Fainted.......

For me, I always thought it is important for schools, parents, teachers to nurture children right from a very tender age. Of course by saying this, I am not implying that toddlers should be memorizing and be able to recite some ridiculously profound Tang poetry, or even English literature! Nurturing means providing the opportunities for the little one's interest or dreams to materialize. It is especially critical to have the parents' buy-in (hah, such a commercial term!), otherwise nurturing will not happen.

Apart from enrichment classes, I believe there are still many courses available for kids these days. Depending on what your child is interested in, you can enrol them accordingly into music, arts, dance or even baking classes.

I did not get to fulfill my childhood dream of learning ballroom dancing like salsa, so I decided to influence my daughter to fall in love with dancing. She did, but it was not exactly ballroom dancing. She was fascinated over ballet, she basically want to move like a graceful ballerina! Hah, so much for her tomboy demeanour!

My mom was the least pleased when she knows that I am going to nurture Rianne in the ballet department. She don't reckon Rianne will be interested for too long, and also she said ballet's not for Rianne who's a clumsy elephant. Thanks, that was really encouraging.. no.

Despite my mother's disagreement, I went ahead to register Rianne for the tiny tots ballet class which will commence on 23 Aug 2013, for a total of 8 lessons over 2 months. Needless to say, Rianne was ecstatic to know she was already enrolled to the ballet class; and kept bugging me to get her ballet costume, shoes, etc, etc.

I am happy to know that Rianne is very enthusiastic about ballet. I am confident as well that she will excel, and maybe she may even continue dancing ballet for some time.

I cannot wait to see her in a pink leotard and tutu, balancing herself on a single foot.. :)

No comments: