Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Miracle of Life

"Today marks the beginning of the end.." Well, these words from Mr Obama kinda make a good opening for this post; so here is my story..

Feb 12 - Almost fainted twice on the streets, and got admitted to KK Hospital after my rountine checkup at my gynae.

Reason : High Blood Pressure of 138 (1st measurement) and then 142 (2nd take). Protein contents were also detected in urine samples.

I was put on the CTG machine (for monitoring baby's heartbeat and contractions) the minute I got into the hospital. Being a regular at the labour ward, I already knew what was in for me.. 4 tubes of blood were drawn, and the needle was kept in for the use of a drip when the need arises. The nurses had to take my BP periodically, in case it shoot rocket-high. I was given a jab on my right thigh to strengthen Junior's lungs quickly, if I had to go into early labour.

End of day : No significant drop of BP, and urine were still showing high protein amounts. (Hated the collecting of my urine in a tub, nasty!!)

Feb 13 - Had another 4 tubes of blood drawn, and the 2nd injection on my left thigh. The nurse who administered the jab praised me for being brave.. Of course I am, I had the same jab for the 4th time already!! (Watch out for the pic of my bruised thigh..)

Feb 14 - Happy Valentine's! Am still stuck in the hospital with high BP and urine not showing much progress. The other mamas in the same ward have delivered, carried their babies and gone home; except for another girl and me. Her husband looks Nepalese, and that sweet guy actually bought her a rose! Wanted to talk to her since both of us are in the same 'sampan', but think I'd better leave her alone as she was already showing signs of pain somehow through her face.

Feb 15 - After days & nights of monitoring, the house doctor came to me with a scary piece of news! My urine results have shown that my kidneys are slightly affected at this stage of my pregnancy, and thus the doctor is recommending to induce birth for Junior. It means that Junior would be forced to born prematurely, at only 35weeks. I wasn't too sure if that's the best thing to do, as from the ultrasound done yesterday, Junior is only 2.1kg currently. I wanted to seek a 2nd opinion from my gynae, so I brushed that suggestion away.

Thinking that I might not be too clear of the present situation, the house doctor walked back to my bed and explained again. First affected are my kidneys, and if my BP rise even more, my liver will be next, then my brain. The worst case is I might get a fit, and no more oxygen / nutrients will go to Junior. With that happening, I will need to have a Caesarian operation to deliver Junior.

After a discussion with Papa D, I decided to go with the birth induction. I was sent to the labour ward once again, at 6pm to insert the pill. That done, I was strapped on again to the CTG machine til 8.30pm, and sent back to the ward afterwards.

9pm : Mild contractions started to hit me, and all I could take was a few bites of a McChicken burger. Transferred to the B1 ward with the help of my sis-in-law, who managed to convince the Admissions Dept that I am very likely going to deliver tomorrow, and hence needed to upgrade urgently such that my gynae will be able to attend to my delivery.

Feb 16 - 12am : My mum's gone home for the night after she got me all settled in. I wasn't able to get to sleep like how I could for the past few days, and relied on the TV and my iPod to relax.

3am : My BP rose to its highest of 170 and I felt some waters underneath, on my buttocks. It was then I realised I was actually bleeding ('a show' in expectant terms).. Nurses ushered me into the labour ward Room No.17.

5.30am : Annie Mummy reached, and thank goodness I was sleepy. I managed to catch some wink before the doctors came in and checked on my cervix dilation. I was merely 2cm dilated, and one of the doctors proceeded to break my waterbag. For those curious to know, that fluid is actually warm..

6.30am : Contractions got closer and more intense.. Being stubborn to use the 'gas' and any other pain relief, I was enduring hard. The mid-wife kept urging me to opt for the epidural soon if I really can't bear with the pain. My mum massaged my back whenever the contractions came, and it helped a lot!! I clinged on tight to the bed rim, and not forgetting to breathe smooth..

7.30am : Pain was so unbearable now, and at a point of time, I actually wanted to get onto the ground coz I want to walk the pain away! Signed for the administration of an epidural, as I know I have reached my highest endurance level and it would be a few more hours before I get fully dilated. The mid-wife told me the anaesthetist would be arriving soon to do the injection for me, so in the meantime I should use the 'gas'.

8.00am : Inhaled the 'gas' for a while, but somehow I feel like something, like poo, is coming out.. I used the 'pant, pant, blow' technique to stop myself from pushing, as I know it is definitely not s*#@ that is trying to come out!

At the next minute of my contraction, I knew I had pushed Junior's head out uncontrollably. I was frantically waving (my mouth covered by the 'gas' mask) at the mid-wife, trying to tell her that I had done something which I shouldn't supposed to do yet; at least not when I am less than 10cm dilated. She checked me, and exclaimed "Yes Puay Puay, you are right. The baby's head is coming out!" Next thing I remember, was my mum pressing on my thigh making sure I don't lift my butt up in case I tear, ermmm, you know where.

The wait for my gynae to appear seems forever, and in my head, I was busy reciting these words "I WON'T PUSH, I WON'T PUSH!" But however hard you try to resist pushing, the only reaction your body takes to it is pushing!

I shut my eyes tight when I was pushing, pretending to not know I was pushing; and not to be caught as well.. A sign of relief came when I heard my mum greeting my gynae. It does make a lot of difference to my mental wellness at that time, knowing that it isn't just any mid-wife who will be delivering my baby.

Minutes before 8.58am : All set for delivery as I propped my legs up into the delivery position. Dr Wee and the mid-wife was shouting the one word which I was so fearful of just minutes before - "PUSH!" Naturally, I couldn't wait to push and as I was pushing, 3 other words were circling in my mind. They were HAPPY, PRETTY, & HEALTHY. If you are pondering why those words would come at such unexpected time, I would say that's probably how I would want to see Junior like when she enters the world.

8.58am : I can't remember how many times I actually pushed, but when I felt some small little feet kicking around my private; I knew my baby girl has arrived! Her cries were loud, but not angry.. it sounded like she's happy to finally meet everyone! Dr Wee held her high up to show me, and I think they were trying to make me acknowledge Junior's gender. Although she looks 'musky' and dirty, I could tell that she is a pretty baby.. Cool, one target (PRETTY) met!

At this stage, everyone had their duties to fulfill.. The mid-wife was busy with Junior at the baby's corner (a table with mattressed and equipment), and Dr Wee was sewing me up while stealing a few glances at the TV. Only me and my mum were idle, and we began chatting. We talked about the baby, her crying, her hair color, and wondered if she was feeling cold. Oddly, an emotional rush suddenly hit me and I was all weepy and touched by this whole childbirth thingy.

The most amazing thing has taken place, and in the most unexpected way.. Feb 16th, the day of a huge milestone in my life.

No comments: