Thursday, February 5, 2009

The worst time of my life!!

Folks, before I start blabbering about how bad my life has became and flood this post with negativity; please be gracious and accept my apology in advance..

What in heaven's name did I do to deserve all this? I got pregnant unknowingly, and to save an innocent life; I sacrificed whatever ahead of me and stood up to be a single mum! Thinking I would definitely be able to give the best for my baby, I forgot that there were still so many things and people who were also relying on me..

Just my pregnancy, has already brought me lots of ups and downs.. It is not the easiest or smoothest journey anyone would like to take. Being admitted to the hospital several times, exposed to the fear of losing Junior and then the likelihood of delivering her prematurely. And all the ailments I am facing everyday, makes people around me feel the pain as much; so much that my boss says she wish I would give birth soon! Well, that almost happened on Tuesday, when I went to the hospital over a complaint of dizziness. Who would have expected that dizzy spell to turn into sudden admission into the labour ward, and then me strapped onto the fetal and contraction monitor machine! Soon later, midwives and nurses were coming into the room briefing me about the costs of delivery before my EDD. I wasn't able to activate the 'Classic Package' which I opted for Junior's birth, as I am still not 36weeks into my pregnancy. In other words, I have to pay for everything in their standard charges dependent on what class of rates I choose, subsidized or private. I was told that with private class rates, Junior if born premature, would have to be in ICU for 27 days which will cough up to a whopping $20,000! However, the setback for taking subsidized class would mean that my gynae not necessarily will deliver Junior.

In the midst of figuring out why I was in the labour ward, my sister phoned me and said she can't be there for me due to religious reasons. Her mother-in-law said it would clash with her unborn, so for the sake of my future niece I can't force my sister. That was when I started to get cold feet and was close to tears.. I was just scared that I might be well delivering my first baby just like that! Very shortly, a doctor came and explained what was going on. She told me I am having regular contractions that come every 4-5mins, and that shouldn't be happening in my 33rd week. She went on to examine my ermmm, cervix, to see if it has any dilation. Not the most pleasant feeling for sure, but at least I got my mind at ease after the 'wrist-in' check.

I was put on medication every 15min while my contractions were still being monitored. Mummy arrived, and was confused why and how did I end up in the labour ward. I couldn't explain much to her as I was still feeling faint, especially after the doctor poked a syringe into the back of my hand and drew 4 tubes of blood from me! The needle was left inside just so that it would be easier if they need me to be on a drip. Then I was pushed on a wheelchair to do an ultrasound scan; and mind you, I haven't eaten anything the whole morning. By the time I was announced contraction-free, it was already 4pm and I was close to fainting due to hunger.

The next 24 hours was unbearable, as I was put under observation in the normal ward - C class ward which was the subsidized class I'd picked. It is not the comfort issue (without aircon and TV), but rather the peace and tranquility a patient needs for her rest. I wasn't able to get a good night's sleep when visitors were roaming in after the official visiting time, nurses not keeping their voices down when doing their rounds, and the most irritating of all, was the squeaking of the trolleys going up and down the aisle of the ward! The next ridiculous thing was having the nurses turned up at my bed at 4am in the morning just to take my temperature, blood pressure and hear this, take an urine test! Do a what? at 4am?! It may be wee hours but that doesn't mean that everybody will have some wee to provide!!

Next up was the doctors surprising me at my bed at 6.45am! God, can someone give me a break already?! I wasn't paying too much attention to their discussion and examination analogy, as I really want to get my sleep! I only heard that I am ok, but whether I get to go home or not is still a question! That was not my primary concern then, and I headed back to sleep until my sister called to say she's coming over to see me. Finally, someone who can comprehend what I am going through..

Boy, am I glad when I was finally discharged from the hospital.. I secretly hid the sharp pains I felt in my pelvic area from the doctors, so that I can go home. But that is just stupid of me, coz I was suffering from it the minute I got home til this morning. It actually felt like the pain you get from urine infection; minus the burning peeing sensation. It didn't help when nightmare struck and got me yelling and screaming for my mum, but my cries were left unheard. Ok, wimpy is so not my style; but bear with me as more grumpy stories are told.. next post ok, coz this one is already so long. ;p

No comments: